|Cousine / Course|
- संत्रा / संतरा / Orange – 3
- खवा / खोया /mawa – 200 gm
- Orange syrup – 1 tbsp
- तूप / घी / Ghee -1 tsp
- Mix nuts – 1/4 cup crushed
- Chocolate crushed – 2 tbsp
- Dry coconut powder for garnishing – 1 tbsp
Instructions for orange Mawa
- Cut oranges and peel them, collect the orange pulp in a bowl
- Take a pan, heat on medium heat, add orange pulp and sugar, mix well, cook till sugar dissolves completely
- Add Mawa to the pan, stir and mix orange pulp with Mawa throughly, break any lumps, check Homemade Mawa recipe here.
- Add Orange syrup and cook till Mawa solidifies
- Add a ghee, mix well and turn off heat transfer mawa to plate and let it cool
- Prepare filling with toasted crushed nuts, such as Almonds, pistachios, cashews, mix with crushed chocolate, toasted nuts give nice crunchiness
- After cooling massage mawa lightly with greased palms and make it smooth
- Now lightly grease modak mold from inside, take small portion of Mawa to fill the mold completely
- Make it hollow by slowly pressing your finger in the mold and press the dough to the walls of the mold by your finger.
- Remove any excess dough came out of the mold
- Add 1-2 small spoons of filling to hollow Modak, take small amount of Mawa to cover the opening and seal it properly. Remove modak from mold
- Repeat the process for remaining Modaks
- Garnish modak with dry coconut coconut powder
- Filling can be made with any of the roasted nuts coconut, almonds, pistachios, cashews or a mix together. Adding crushed chocolate to the mix gives enhanced flavors.
- Turn mawa regularly while cooking to avoid mawa burning or sticking at bottom